Saturday, October 14, 2006

The conspiracy

Medical Indicator: Paranoia is an excessive anxiety or fear concerning one's own well-being which is considered irrational and excessive, perhaps to the point of being a psychosis. This typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a likely threat, or a belief in a conspiracy theory.


In this post-911 era, virtually everything can be turned into a conspiracy. Some Americans truly believe that the 911 saga is just one of the plots of the Washington government as a grand excuse to invade Iraq and then take over the lucrative oil export. On the other hand, there are the Arabic people that firmly think that 911 never happen before, “what you saw was actually the media tricks, a prefect wield of Hollywood technology to create a scene to the whole world, a scene that never exist.” “All media lie,” is his conclusion, which inevitably makes his words become a lie as well as the interview was shown in the CNN.

So, back to the deposit matter. I confronted Micelle the first time to no avail. However based on what my other friends told me, I strongly think that there was something fishy. So I went back to the Spires to check on the database. The receptionist seemed a bit uneasy when I make my request, and he straight call his manager to deal with me. Hmm, strange enough, as if you don’t have the authority to access the database. The manager came swiftly and showed me the database. There was a prominent comment left on ALL of my housemates’ entries that our apartment was allegedly left dirty, but no detail of what type of cleaning available. The second strange thing that I notice was that among all the people that were charge for cleaning, only our entries were left with comments. Too conspicuous that it became suspicious. When I questioned her about the amount charge for cleaning, she simply showed me the book of accommodation regulations citing the charge liable for cleaning an apartment, meaning that I could had be charged more.

My second attempt to uncover the truth was in vain. I was so disappointed. The manager must have tampered with the database to create the false evidence… wait a moment, I should have check the date the database last modified. Aiya! Now I lost the only piece of proof. I am afraid that I have to accept the reality now. Although everything looks kind of fishy, it could be also because I am being paranoid. I remember an old folk story [亡斧臆邻] about a guy that suspects his neighbour stolen his axe. Whenever he sees his neighbour he feels that he is hiding something from him. Until one day when he finally retrieves his axe, the very acts and gestures of the neighbour are no longer dubious. By the way, why would all these people gang up just to cheat my 25 euros? that doesn't sound reasonable.

So should I believe in their story despite all the weird, dodgy things? Or should I believe my gut instinct instead?

No comments: