Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Between Excuse me and Thank you


After staying one year in Ireland, I gradually assimilates into the western culture by picking up some common greetings. Every time I meet somebody the conversation will invariably encompass a few phrases of excuse me or thank you. This way of greeting has been working fine all the while until something happened today.

I was supposed to reclaim my deposit from The Spires as there is some miscalculation in the refund letter that I received. The refund is 25 euros less than what it is supposedly correct figure. 25 is not a small sum that I can just close my eye and ignore it. So I decided to demand for a pay back for the discrepancy.

After making several visits to The Spires, the final outcome turn out to be null. I was told that the 25 euros charge was on the database but not put on the letter. W-t-f. When I went to Micelle, the manager, to ask for an explanation, she simply replied me everyone was charged for that.

I was so disappointed when I walked out of the University Hall reception,. When I think back I felt that something was very wrong. In principle that is clearly her fault and she owe me an apology and she didn’t say so. Plus, There is no way apartment cleaning could be that pricey. I think I was cheated. However I ended up saying thank you to her when I left the reception.

I think something is lacking in my greeting style. I am always in a polite and friendly situation but now this is a different context. I am fighting for something and Excuse me and thank you do not seemed to be the most appropriate phrases to use. Or not sufficient I would say. Yea, something of stronger emotion and more aggressive should be added to my vocabulary. Then I have the inspiration.

From now on my amended expression will be:

Excuse me… sorry to bother you.

FUCK YOU… for messing up the whole thing.

Thank you… for your help.

That’s the word between Excuse me and Thank you.

2 comments:

Wei Kang 小康 said...

Well... i understand how u felt at that time but i dun really think that u shud use the F-word just to express ur anger and disatisfaction. U can always speak to her in a more stern way. Swearing will only make the situation worse, don't u think so?

Anyway, i know how u felt n therefore hopefully this kind of thing wun happen to u anymore.

Sin Hong said...

i read your blog about how people settle accident... that's interesting but i feel that we are entrapped in this kind of polite culture. wonder if one of the party is clearly at fault, but he just try to take advantage of the other person's curteousy. In the end everyone will walk away in smile but after sometime u will realise that u were just being bullied.
so my point is "politeness is a two-way traffic." sometimes i just have to be more assertive and/or aggressive in face of other that try to manipulate/ deceive me.