Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Worries of a phish

Parents always worry about their children, sometimes unnecessarily. The first time I went for a strike, they warned me of possible danger; when I decided to sign up for a meditation course, they advised me against that… then when I tell them I am going to Ecuador for a volunteering program, they worry again… but I think they maybe right this time and I am starting to worry also…

Yes I spent 3000 euros (RM 15,000!!) to go to Ecuador for a one-month volunteering activity… right after I submitted my deposit, I begin to think about my parent’s word… how can I be sure that this ISV organization really exist and it is not a bogus one? Based on the leaflet? The website? The letter sent to me? The M-16 girl (that talks like a firing gun)? I don’t have anything to verify its existence let alone its authenticity.

This is the problem with transnational organization. You can't see a physical building or anyone in charge… only a website and a pamphlet… nothing tangible… I felt just like being dubbed into a phising site as I volunteering my information to some unknown place while they are lurking in the dark awaiting to rip me off… then I think of the people involved in Skim Cepat Kaya (Rapid Wealth Scheme?) in the 80’s… that’s probably a reason why so many people got deceived… but my predicament here is like having paid the first installment only to find that the developer may not exist at all…

Amidst my worry then Sean came and told me that his mum nearly fall into the trap of a phising site. She was asked to verify (actually to cancel) a fake paypal transaction and the website requires all her paypal account details including the password… ohh… when more enterprises are going cyber ironically I would now prefer the traditional paper work system in a concrete building… the world is such an insecure place that I can't really trust anything intangible…

300 and 3000… to pay or not to pay?

No comments: